Either you are building your own website, or you are working on your client’s website, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is one of the most important practices that you have to perform. It is one of the Digital Marketing Techniques about which you may have heard 100’s of times in your life.
In this article, I’ll be addressing some of the basic information related to SEO techniques that we need to keep in mind when optimizing a website.
If we look on the internet, you’ll find plenty of digital marketing channels like Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, Youtube, Vlogging, etc.. that we can use for digital marketing. But today, we are going to learn about one of the basic Digital Marketing techniques i.e. Search Engine Optimization aka SEO.
What is SEO?
It involves the practice of optimizing your website to increase the organic flow of traffic so that it can rank higher on search engine result pages. For example Google, Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex, DuckDuckGo, etc.. These are all examples of search engines. The task of SEO is to make the website relevant in the eyes of the search engine by using more convenient keywords so that you can drive more traffic to your website.
Types of SEO
Three types of Search Engine Optimization are:
- On-Page SEO
- Off-Page SEO
- Technical SEO
In this, you have to optimize your website’s HTML source code and its content. In short, it has everything to do with your website, which includes the following components:
- Image Alt Text
- Internet Speed
- Title tag
- Meta Description
- Featured Snippet
- Page Speed
- Header Tag
It involves using promotional methods by creating the backlinks for the website. It helps in improving the organic ranking with the help of quality backlinks that you will be generating. The process is called Link Building, which involves establishing external links or back-links by high-quality relevant third-party sites to your website. Google automatically recognizes back-links, so you just need to have a reference of a high-quality relevant site to your website. It is enough to let Google recognize your website. Remember, Quality over Quantity.
This type of SEO is related to the non-content elements of your website. You have to implement strategies that can improve the backend foundation and structure of your website. It helps to improve your site’s readability level so that search engines can easily crawl and understand the site, providing a good user experience and helping search engines classify websites as high quality. It can affect overall engagement and traffic rates. Following are the components related to technical SEO:
- Site Speed
- Structured Data
- Site Architecture
You can use Alexa SEO Audit Tool to check the technical SEO state of your website. By entering your site, you will receive a full report of the technical elements along with instructions to solve the site issues if there are any.
Link Building in SEO
Two things you should remember:
- Build external links to gain better organic search ranking.
- Navigate quality links from relevant websites to your own site.
There are lots of ways to do this. You have social-media, or you can use social content sites like Quora, Medium, Reddit, and you can also do blogging to establish yourself on the internet.
There are 2 types of link building methods:
- DO-follow: These links enable the search engine crawlers to follow the link to gain a good boost over SERP and pass the link juice to the destination website to establish a reputation for your domain.
- Don’t follow: These types of links don’t allow the search engine crawlers to follow the link. Due to this, reputation is not established for your domain as the link juice is not passed to the destination website. Although, Google will give you the credit because of the link list.
When you get a link from the external website to your website, make sure it’s a ‘Do-follow’ link, not ‘Don’t Follow’. It will ensure that the search engine knows to follow the link from that site to your website.
Tools to use for SEO in 2020
Important tools that you can use for SEO in 2020 are:
You can use Google Keyword Planner and Moz Keyword Explorer to find the relevant keywords for your website. Without a good keyword, you can’t optimize the title tags, or meta descriptions, which will affect your SEO practice. You can check the competitiveness of the keywords and place your bidding.
When you start working on SEO or the website, use ahrefs Backlink Checker to check the Off-page SEO situation of the website. It’s a free tool and easy-to-use. You can check the backlinks for your website domain.
Pingdom is a paid tool (offers a trial version for free for a few days) that allows you to monitor the website’s page speed, no. of visitors, maintenance, etc.. It gives you good insights into SEO.
- Page Low Time: It is one of the important on-page SEO factors that you certainly have to address in the Google Analytics. When you are doing on-page SEO for your domain, make sure to measure the page-low performance of the pages on your website.
- In Google Analytics, you can check the Average Page Low Time of every page received by the tool over time. If you notice that the low time speed is slow, then you need to take adequate action to address the issue. You can also check the PageSpeed Suggestions that give you various solutions in order to optimize the page speed. Implement the suggestions to improve the page low time on the desktop, as well as on mobile.
Now, when you have started working on SEO for a website, you need to have an SEO platform to check the website performance. Again, MOZ is one of the relevant tools available on the internet. Apart from Keyword Explorer, you can also use MOZ for other purposes like:
- Checking website/keyword ranking,
- Page Optimization (to improve On-Page SEO performance),
- No. of Links,
- Link Explorer,
- Keyword Explorer,
- Custom reports,
- Traffic from Search,
- Site Crawler information, etc.
MOZ has a lot of different tools available to address the on-page and off-page SEO issues that might be residing in your website. There’s also SEMRush, BrightEdge that you can use for performing SEO. So, go ahead and explore these tools and utilize their potential to improve the ranking of your website.