Also known as search engine optimization, the technique is widely used for organic search or organic listing. Almost every search engine like Bing and Google comprises of primary search results, where web pages and content like images, vlogs, local listings, or blogs are shown and ranked based on what search engine considers relevant for the users.
So today, we are going to talk about why you need SEO to rank your website on the search engines.
SEO is one of the important digital marketing techniques that’s widely used by marketers or brands to rank their website on search engines. In the current scenario, SEO marketing has become very important. You should know that search engines serve millions of users daily by providing them reliable solutions to their queries.
If you have a blog, online store, or a website, then search engine optimization can help you get relevant free traffic from search engines. It is important because:
- It is seen that majority of search engine users click on the top 5 suggestions in the SERPS (Search Engine Result Pages). So, you can take advantage of this by ranking your website in one of the top positions.
- Having a good SEO score will improve the user experience and usability of your website.
- Use relevant keywords according to your product or service for your website and rank your website in top position. In doing so, when the users will use those keywords to search on the internet, your website will appear in top positions of SERPS, which will increase the trust of users on your website.
- SEO is a perfect technique to promote your website on social platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc..
- Using SEO tools to implement a good SEO practice can put you ahead of the competition.
If your website or blog is not ranking at the top, there could be plenty of reasons. Some of them are listed below:
- Your competitors might have better content as compared to yours. They might have more blogs or web pages, more content on an individual blog post, etc..
- The usage of keywords is very important. You might be using improper keywords in your content.
- Using poor link building practices. The website or blog might be linked to external websites having poor PA and DA, or internal linking is not good. It can affect ranking.
- The webpage load time of your blog or website is slow, which negatively affects user experience.
- Google hasn’t indexed your website, or it got de-indexed by mistake.
What is SEO?
It is a practice that you can use to increase organic traffic to your website on Search Engine Result Pages (SERPS). The technique comprises a set of rules you need to follow to optimize your website to achieve higher rankings in organic results of search engines. You can improve your websites’ quality by making it faster, easy to navigate, and user-friendly.
Let’s take an example:
Suppose 100 students took part in an essay competition. The competition will be evaluated on the following factors:
- Title relevance
- Relevant content
- Suitable synopsis
- Readability & neatness of the content
- Structure of the essay
It seems logical for an essay competition. The winners will be selected based on these factors. Just like that, SEO works in the same way. In SEO, some of the important ranking factors are:
- Title relevance (Suitable URL, title tags)
- Relevant content (Relevant and engaging content)
- Logical Structure (Header tags)
- Suitable synopsis (Meta Description)
- Readability & Neatness (Site speed & Responsiveness of the design)
In the case of SEO, Google is the judge who will determine your website ranking based on the above-mentioned ranking factors. Also, link building (external & internal) plays a crucial role in SEO on the websites’ prominence, and Google understands the content credibility based on that.
How Google Rank Your Website?
There are three basic steps that Google need to follow to rank your website:
- Crawling: It is a process in which search engine bots or spiders will scan your website -> copy the entire content -> store the content in search engines’ index. With this method, Google analyzes which website has relevant content based on certain keywords typed on Google.
- Indexing: It is a process that involves adding web pages into Google Search Results, or database of Google. When it comes to organic search, the search results do not include the paid ads. If your website is not available in the search engines’ index, then no user will be able to find your website.
- Ranking: When a user types a query on Google Search Engine, it will display the most relevant websites on the search results from the index based on factors like user experience, language, user’s location, time zone, etc.. User experience includes following factors:
- The bounce rate of the website
- Page load time
- Average session duration
- Based on cookies
There are plenty of other factors that Google uses to rank your website on SERPs. The article included a basic understanding regarding why you need SEO and how Google ranks the website, or blog, etc. on the search engine. And if you want to improve your website ranking, you need to learn how to use search engine optimization tools for your benefits.